The Reverend Doctor George Walker Smith founded Golden Hill Presbyterian Church in 1956 with support from the Presbyterian Women organization. The church, located at 22nd and Market, became a human rights leader in San Diego as the congregation grew. Reverend Smith was the first black school board member in San Diego. The congregation later moved to its current location in South Park in the early 1980s. The building, built at the turn of the last century, was the home of the Brooklyn Heights Presbyterian Church. With the advent of the former Golden Hill congregation to the South Park property, the name changed to Christ United Presbyterian. The leadership mission continues as Christ United positions itself as South Park's parish.
Christ United Presbyterian Church is a congregation of the Presbyterian Church USA. We were established in 1981 when an invitation was extended to two churches—Brooklyn Heights Presbyterian, established in 1921 and the Golden Hill Presbyterian, established in 1956 (at 22nd and Market Streets)—to merge and each church accepted.